Welcome to the blog that just reports racing as it is written. Enjoy!

Why not follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/UAEhorsetalk or even listen to our radio show on Fridays at 10.00 am UAE time where we cover racing and equestrian news, reviews and previews around the world on http://dubaieye1038.com/

If you want to follow our presenter on Twitter follow twitter.com/htregoning, twitter.com/edwinchester23 and our regular guest twitter.com/tmase04

Sunday 22 December 2013

@AWChamps An All-Weather jockey's life at Christmas - George Baker



The Festive period over Christmas and the New Year is time for celebration. While the majority of the population will happily be tucking into turkey, Christmas pudding and other such seasonal delights, the life of a busy All-Weather jockey is very different and most definitely not a gluttonous one.

There is no racing on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and Monday, December 23 is also a racing-free day in 2013.

At six foot, George Baker is one of the tallest jockeys in the weighing room and with a riding weight of nine stone, the Festive season is not a time for the 31-year-old to indulge.

Baker said: "I get some time off over Christmas. Being a Flat jockey, it is a bit quieter for us at this time of year than for the Jump jockeys. I will have three days off and I will take a total break during that time.

"I don't actually find it too difficult with all the food and drink everywhere at Christmas, you just have to be sensible. In the lead-up to Christmas, I still have to watch my weight as I may well be riding the next day.

"It just nice to have some time off to relax though. I will take a total break from everything during the three days I have off and I won't even be riding out during that time."

After the three-day break, the All-Weather season recommences with a seven-race card at Wolverhampton on Boxing Day, Thursday, December 26.

Baker added: "If I can get rides on Boxing Day, it's great but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

"Again, it would be very different if I was a Jump jockey at this time of year. I would think that for the last 10 Boxing Days, I have probably had about half of them off. You like to keep busy, but don't always want to go racing just for one ride."

The past 12 months have been very fruitful for Baker. For the third time in his career he has ridden over 100 winners, which included a first Group One success in the British Champions Fillies' & Mares Stakes at Ascot in October aboard Seal Of Approval.

He concluded: "Prize money-wise, it has been fantastic and all round it has been a very enjoyable year. As of January 1, 2014, it is back to zero though! Fingers crossed next year will be as good."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment