Welcome to the blog that just reports racing as it is written. Enjoy!

Why not follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/UAEhorsetalk or even listen to our radio show on Fridays at 10.00 am UAE time where we cover racing and equestrian news, reviews and previews around the world on http://dubaieye1038.com/

If you want to follow our presenter on Twitter follow twitter.com/htregoning, twitter.com/edwinchester23 and our regular guest twitter.com/tmase04

Monday 28 October 2013

@CheltenhamRaces Exclusive new monthly blog by AP McCoy @AP_McCoy launched on cheltenham.co.uk


AP McCoy, Ambassador for Cheltenham Racecourse's 2013-14 season and the 18-time champion Jump jockey, writes his exclusive new monthly blog, which can be found on www.cheltenham.co.uk/APMcCoy

The next meeting at Cheltenham Racecourse is The Open, which takes place on Friday 15, Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 November.

McCoy talks about the amazing five-timer at Carlisle yesterday, his hunt for 4,000 winners, the new book he has written, last weekend's racing at Cheltenham and The Open meeting in three weeks' time.

AP McCoy
"It has been a great week for me as I near 4,000 winners and my tally was helped in no small part by a five-timer at Carlisle yesterday (Thursday, October 24). There are a busy couple of weeks to come with The Open meeting looming and my book launch - but more on both of those a little later.

"There has been plenty of talk in the press and on the likes of Twitter about me riding 4,000 winners. It is something that was on my mind at the start of the season and the more winners you ride the more you tend to think about it. I am quite lucky though, that when I get to the races and enter the weighing room it doesn't really enter my head. I have a job to do and I have to ride winners. There are people who are employing me on that day whom I may not have ridden for before, so whether I have ridden 4,000 winners or not is no good to them. I have to concentrate on the job in hand but sometimes on the way home in the evening I might think about it and the fact that I am getting closer.

"When I rode 1,000 winners I definitely didn't think I would get to towards this total. The same would be true after 2,000, but for some reason when I rode 3,000 I thought to myself that I could ride 4,000 winners - maybe when I got to 3,000 I was just starting to get the hang of it! I do like to set myself goals and targets to chase as it keeps my mind right and gives me something to aim at. I know some people don't like setting goals and targets in case they get disappointed, but I get disappointed if I don't reach my goals and targets and that keeps me motivated.

"I am very proud of what I have achieved and I have never for a moment taken it for granted. I have never thought I have a divine right to ride more winners than anyone else and when I do ride 4,000 winners I won't wake up and think 'wow, I'm a great jockey' because it will already be in the past and you have to keep looking ahead. I know how hard you have to work to get to this point. There have been a lot of good days and a lot of bad days and you have a lot of highs and lows. This is a pretty good sport at keeping you level headed so I have never really thought I was any different from anyone else.

"The five winners at Carlisle were enjoyable and it is something you would like to happen every day but it often doesn't or it can't as you might only have a couple of rides. I have been lucky that Jonjo's (O'Neill) horses are flying and that JP (McManus) has plenty for me to ride and it is just about keeping the moment going forward.

"I also got 100 winners in a season for the 19th consecutive year with the wins at Carlisle and that is something I am proud of. To ride 100 winners for 19 years in a row is nice and I don't think too many people will have done it. I guess the likes of Pat Eddery will have managed it and it is a nice achievement, but I am always looking forward and treat it as the clock going back to zero and starting again. My goal is now to ride 200 winners!

"Of the Carlisle horses, I have to give a mention to Pendra as he is a nice type and was second over hurdles in the Tolworth last year. Carlisle was a nice chase track to start him off over fences and you'd have to be pleased with him. We might now look at throwing him in deep at The Open meeting. The experience would do him good and it is a possibility he will run at Cheltenham - we might just dip our toe in to the water.

"Speaking of Cheltenham, it was nice to be back there last weekend and I had a couple of winners and a couple of seconds. Twirling Magnet won, which was nice but, unfortunately, he is no longer a novice chaser now and he will have to step in to handicap company, which will make it more difficult for him. I rode a nice bumper horse of Rebecca Curtis's called Carningli and he could go back there for The Open meeting.

"But overall it was just good to be back at Cheltenham. I am not just saying this as I am writing this blog but Cheltenham is different from all other jumps racetracks. It is where everyone wants to win, whether it be the first meeting of the season, the Paddy Power or the Festival. Cheltenham has a different atmosphere and is a great theatre. You really notice that the better jumps horses are coming out at the moment and then when Cheltenham start racing you know that the jumps season is in full swing.

"The Open meeting has been pretty successful to me and I have won the Paddy Power four times - not for a while though so I had better pull my finger out! It is a good meeting and a lot of friends of mine go there and enjoy it as not as crowded as the Festival and has a good atmosphere as well. It is a meeting you look forward to and is definitely special as the first big jumps meeting of the season.

"Before we get to The Open meeting, I have to mention that my book 'Taking The Fall' comes out on November 7. I hope it will sell well and I have enjoyed doing it.

"It has a good story but it is not the sort of book I would want my daughter reading as it is a little bit racy. When I was asked about doing it, I wanted to make it a little bit more interesting and make it more than just a racing book, which people would associate with just skulduggery.

"I was first asked to do the book about two years ago when Fifty Shades of Grey had just come out and I said to my wife that every woman in the world was reading that book so I decided to spice it up a little bit. There are a few racy scenes in it, and I don't mean on horseback!

"It is basically a revenge plot about a young jockey - who my wife says is nothing like me as he is quite good looking and a bit of a boy! The boy's father was a trainer just getting going but he got set up by a rival wealthy trainer, a very wealthy owner and a very, very successful jockey. The boy's mission in life is then to get these three people back and my wife is very happy as she thinks the book will let people see that I do actually have an imagination and that it will be good for my street-cred!

"I wasn't sure about doing it when I was first asked but I had a few evenings out with a few of my friends like Richard Hughes and Carl Llewellyn and got quite a bit of ammunition from them and I have come to quite like books now.

"Also, away from the saddle I should tell you about my new role with BBC Radio 5 Live. I did a slot on Talk Sport last winter on a Friday morning and quite enjoyed it and was then approached by the BBC to do a lot with them on a Friday evening. Racing has been very good to me and a slot like this helps to advertise our sport and give it a bit more good publicity.

"I read somewhere that I was supposedly doing this with my retirement in mind! I am not silly enough to think that I will ride for ever but this was something that interested me and will not affect my riding at all as it is at 9pm on a Friday night. It is not like I am taking two days a week off to go and sit in a studio to talk on the radio and hopefully it will be good for the sport.

"Well, that's all for now as there are more winners to be ridden, but I look forward talking to you next month when it will be time for The Open meeting."

No comments:

Post a Comment