Welcome to the blog that just reports racing as it is written. Enjoy!

Why not follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/UAEhorsetalk or even listen to our radio show on Fridays at 10.00 am UAE time where we cover racing and equestrian news, reviews and previews around the world on http://dubaieye1038.com/

If you want to follow our presenter on Twitter follow twitter.com/htregoning, twitter.com/edwinchester23 and our regular guest twitter.com/tmase04

Sunday 23 June 2013

QIPCO TITLE PROVES MURTAGH STILL TOP OF HIS GAME

royalascot2013

                                               
Notions that Johnny Murtagh might cut back on riding commitments while grasping his new role as a trainer were consigned to the pending tray today.

Four winners this week at Royal Ascot enabled the Irishman to head a stellar cast in the race for QIPCO's Top Jockey Award. Joseph O'Brien was runner-up with three winners, the same as Ryan Moore and James Doyle, but with more placings.

Murtagh said: "It's absolutely terrific and I didn't think it would happen at the start of the week. I had a few nice rides, but not enough of them, although things fell into place.

"Getting a double on day one gave me a great start, and then to complete it today with a winner for Lady Cecil made it all very special. It's very competitive out there and the races are very fast and very true - the best horse will always win and I was on some nice horses. It's the biggest meeting of all, so to win the title is wonderful.

"As a jockey I'm as hungry as ever - I'm really enjoying it and perhaps a bit more relaxed. Maybe the horses sense that. I would never doubt myself - I know what I can do, my record is there and I never try to do anything special. It might be a big day and some people might try and do a bit more, but no, the simpler I keep it the better the results. Maybe I'm getting a bit wiser as I get older."

Asked if he would be visiting Britain less now he has a trainer's licence, Murtagh said: "I'll be travelling over when I'm needed. People may be looking from the outside thinking 'Ah, he's lost the hunger', but I haven't. I'm still Johnny Murtagh the jockey, and the training career is there when the jockey's career dries up.

"At the start of the week I had two rides the first day and one for the rest of the week and I was thinking maybe they have forgotten me, but things got going and after this week maybe they will realise I'm still as keen as ever.

"The highlight has to be Sole Power for Eddie Lynam in the Group One King's Stand Stakes, and, I don't like saying it, finishing second in the Gold Cup [on Simenon behind The Queen's Estimate] was devastating, but a great result."

O'BRIEN TAKES QIPCO LEADING TRAINER TITLE 

Aidan O'Brien took the QIPCO-sponsored Top Trainer Award at Royal Ascot 2013 by saddling four winners. He received his trophy from The Queen following the running of the Diamond Jubilee Stakes.

O'Brien's tally helped Irish stables to reap a record-equalling eight winners during the Royal Meeting, although none came on the final day.


In second place was Sir Michael Stoute, whose Newmarket yard sent out three winners, one more than Lady Cecil and Kevin Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment