Welcome to the blog that just reports racing as it is written. Enjoy!

Why not follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/UAEhorsetalk or even listen to our radio show on Fridays at 10.00 am UAE time where we cover racing and equestrian news, reviews and previews around the world on http://dubaieye1038.com/

If you want to follow our presenter on Twitter follow twitter.com/htregoning, twitter.com/edwinchester23 and our regular guest twitter.com/tmase04

Thursday 1 August 2013

FURTHER REACTION FROM RICHARD HUGHES FOLLOWING TORONADO'S QIPCO SUSSEX STAKES WIN @Goodwood_Races



Richard Hughes gave further reaction following Toronado's QIPCO Sussex Stakes victory. The champion jockey said: "On things like Twitter  you can get slagged off but I love my horses. I hate it when people slag them off and Lizzie knows how much I think of this horse.

"We were so gutted at Ascot that he didn't get up. If he didn't get the bump he would've won and the whole week might have gone great but it just didn't work out. There was a lot of pressure on today as there were no excuses if he got beat today. I thought his reputation would be ruined if he didn't win today, so there was a lot riding on it.

"I just said to the owners when we went into the ring that I thought I'll come fast and late but the most important thing was to let him get his head down early and let him breathe which was an issue at Newmarket. That is your first priority to make sure he breathes properly in a race and he won't do that by pulling or dragging your arm.
goodwood 
"There's only one winning post at Goodwood and it's right down the end. Declaration Of War has done me a favour as he brought me into the race. My lad wasn't as instant as he can be on firm ground but I'm glad we didn't roll down into Dawn Approach, we kept well away and left him alone.

"The yard and everybody have done a lot of work with this horse. Sean Levey has done a wonderful job, he's probably the best pair of hands in the weighing room. He rides this horse every morning and he's done a better job settling him than I ever would have ever done.

"He can only get better, he's 13 kilos heavier now than when he ran in the Guineas. We had him pretty fit today, he's done two bits of work since Ascot, Sean rode him once and I rode him in the morning - what he did the other morning was a piece of work than only Canford Cliffs could've done."

BOLGER PLEASED WITH DAWN APPROACH

A duel always has a winner and loser and it was no different in the QIPCO Sussex Stakes, billed as the Duel on the Downs, after Toronado finished late and wide to snatch the verdict by half a length from Dawn Approach who had gone to the front by the one and a half furlong point.

Dawn Approach's trainer, Jim Bolger, reacted initially by saying: "It was a top performance. We were just beaten by a better horse on the day. There no reasons for the defeat - we were beaten by a better horse on the day. I am not concerned about a rematch. We still have to figure out exactly where we go from here. Whatever turns up, turns up. There are a couple of possibilities but time will tell all."

He added: "The tactics used were the ones decided on. They have served us in good stead in the past and whatever happened, happened. That is his style of racing and that is how we like to manage things for him. It has not worked out too badly in the past doing things that way.

"I don't think it was a question of the course. We were beaten by a better horse on the day. They aren't many horses who would want to eyeball Dawn Approach who is entered in all the Group One mile races and we will decide that at a later stage.

"I was very happy with Dawn Approach coming into this race. I have been beaten here before - I would not say I am used to it at this stage but I have no difficulty accepting results. I was hopeful - I never use the word confident. I was hopeful of a good run. He may not have run up to his very best - I don't know. I was hopeful of a good run and we got a good run. He was just beaten by a better horse on the day.

"We will sit down and think about it. I will talk with Sheikh Mohammed and Simon Crisford and see where we go."

Regarding Dawn Approach's next race, Bolger said: "Whoever turns up, turns up. We won't be shirking anybody when we decide where to go.

"I felt our horse ran a really good race. We were beaten by a better horse on the day and that is how I am viewing it. Things panned out exactly as I planned except for the very result. The track is the same for everybody."

Asked whether it was vintage QIPCO Sussex Stakes, the trainer replied: "It will be billed as a very good race but I don't see it as a vintage race for the simple reason that the battle did not last all that long.

"It wasn't like some previous battles from one and a half (furlongs) out like between Alexander Goldrun (who Bolger trained) and Ed Dunlop's filly (Ouija Board in the 2006 Markel Insurance Nassau Stakes at Goodwood).

"Dawn Approach is the top-rated three-year-old colt in the world at this stage - he may not be after that, I don't know. But when horses like Dawn Approach turn up to run in any race that should be enough to remind people of the quality of the horses in the race."

Beaten but not unbowed asked a journalist and Bolger came back: "Certainly not. Maybe on a different track you would get a different result; I don't know. I would not be disappointed - I think he ran near enough to his best form. I suppose they won't run quite to their best all the time. We are very happy to be here. It was a wonderful race and a wonderful racetrack. The only thing we did not get was the right result."

Kevin Manning, Dawn Approach's jockey, added: "It was a proper-run race. Dawn Approach quickened up and went all the way to the line. Richard (Hughes on Toronado) just came deep and wide of me."

NEW CAMPAIGN FOR WAR

Declaration Of War may break new ground after his third place to the top-class three-year-old milers Toronado and Dawn Approach in the QIPCO Sussex Stakes. After winning the Queen Anne Stakes over a mile, the son of War Front stepped up to 10 furlongs to run second in the Eclipse Stakes. And he may drop back in distance later in the season.

"He has a lot of speed, this horse," said trainer Aidan O'Brien, "and he certainly won't be going beyond a mile again. In fact, we wouldn't be afraid of going then other way. A race like the Haydock Sprint Cup [over six furlongs] would be a definite possibility."

Of Declaration of War's Sussex Stakes performance - he was beaten three lengths by the winner - O'Brien said he was satisfied under the circumstances. "We knew he was taking on two very good three-year-olds," he said, "and he ran very well. Ideally, he'd want faster ground; it looked as if his wheels were spinning a bit today.

"He's a real Danzig [the four-year-old's paternal grandsire], with lots of speed he can show on fast ground."

No comments:

Post a Comment